PIP claimants could get council tax discount of up to 100 percent – check now

Today News ||

PIP provides support to Britons who have a physical or mental disability, or both. However, the financial payment is not the only support these individuals can receive, and assistance is also at hand for housing costs. 

Individuals may be able to apply for a council tax discount or exemption if they are disabled, or living with someone who is.

Firstly, is the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme offered by the Government.

People could be eligible if they live in a larger property than they would need if they were not disabled.


Those who qualify will have their bill reduced to the next lowest council tax band.

READ MORE: Retirement and me: Woman, 67, furious at state pension age changes

All they will need to do is enter their postcode to be redirected to the website of their local authority.

Individuals who are severely mentally impaired might also be able to apply for a council tax bill discount.

Like the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme, Britons will need to offer proof of their condition.

This includes a certificate to say a person is severely mentally impaired from a medical professional, such as a GP.

They may also need to prove their eligibility for certain benefits.

Those who qualify as severely mentally impaired will get a 100 discount if one of the following applies:

  • The person lives on their own
  • Any other adults in the household either qualify as severely mentally impaired, or are full-time students.
RELATED:  In fiery Senate hearing, U.S. CFPB chief focuses on Big Tech influence, competition

There will be a 50 percent discount on the bill if everyone else in the household is “disregarded” for council tax reasons.

PIP claimants may need their award letter before they can apply for extra help. This award letter is sometimes described as a PIP award notice.

It is sent out to Britons when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) makes a decision on the PIP claim.

PIP claimants will also get a cost of living payment of £150 in September 2022.

Citizens Advice explains that to get this payment, individuals must have either:

  • Been in receipt of PIP on May 25, 2022
  • Applied for PIP by May 25, 2022 – but they will not get the payment until their claim is successful.

More Economy Business News Updates of Today Check Below

Today News || Business Today || World News || Headlines Today || Health || Technology News || Education News


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button