Entertainment

Report: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Could Miss Prince Philip’s Memorial Over Security Concerns

Entertainment:

The royal family might not get to meet Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s newborn daughter, Lilibet, at Prince Philip’s memorial service this spring after all.

The Duke of Sussex has been petitioning the UK government for the last two years for extra security for his family during their visits to the country, even reportedly offering to pay for it himself. And if it isn’t granted before the memorial in a few months, a source tells Page Six that they might not go at all. The royal’s legal representative said that Harry is “unable to return to his home” because it is too dangerous, despite wanting to introduce his family to his infant daughter and letting them spend time with his 2-year-old son, Archie. The couple has not announced any official plans to attend the memorial service, but it’s believed they plan to make an appearance. Meghan has not returned to the UK since officially stepping down as a senior royal in January 2020.

Harry and Meghan currently employ their own security firm in America, but because of a decision made by the British Home Office last year, their US security team does not have jurisdiction or access to UK intelligence information necessary to keep them safe, requiring them to hire additional local protection. “If Harry goes, he will want to have security for him and his family. If and when he decides to go back to the UK, he needs security,” a source told the outlet. On Sunday, the Duke’s representatives also released a statement claiming that the royal has petitioned the UK government twice to allow him to pay for his own police security during the visit so “as not to impose on the British taxpayer.” He also requested a judicial review of the matter in September 2021 “to challenge the decision-making behind the security procedures,” however, both his requests were denied.

RELATED:  Braunwyn Windham-Burke Talks Abuse in Marriage and Hitting Husband Sean, Blames Pap Photos on Kelly

The royal’s legal team claims that additional protection is a necessity as his family “has been subjected to well-documented neo-Nazi and extremist threats.” They added that his security “was compromised due to the absence of police protection” during his last visit to the UK in July for the unveiling of the Princess Diana statue. The statement also pointed out that, “As is widely known, others who have left public office and have an inherent threat risk receive police protection at no cost to them.” Concluding, “The UK will always be Prince Harry’s home and a country he wants his wife and children to be safe in. With the lack of police protection, comes too great a personal risk. Prince Harry hopes that his petition — after close to two years of pleas for security in the UK — will resolve this situation.”

Ads

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair 

Camilla: The Controversial Figure Who May Become Queen
— Ghislaine Maxwell’s Guilty Verdict Comes Into Question
Caitríona Balfe’s Celtic Conquest, From Outlander to Belfast
— Can a New Perfume Rekindle Eroticism?
The Queen Is Mourning Two of Her Ladies-in-Waiting
— 21 Wardrobe Winners Inspired by And Just Like That…
— The Life and Death of Rosanne Boyland, a Capitol Rioter
— From the Archive: Princesses Behaving Badly
— Sign up for “The Buyline” to receive a curated list of fashion, books, and beauty buys in one weekly newsletter.

RELATED:  Kenneth Cole Among the Cuomo Family Members Who Jumped the COVID Test Line


Latest Entertainment News Today, Trending Celebrity News Gossips & Headlines
Today News Post || Breaking News || Entertainment News || Movies || Movie Review || Celeb Gossips || Tv Shows

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close