Africa

Fourways hippo was not slaughtered, it is safe & back home – agricultural dept

Today News || News Now

On Monday, pictures of a hippo being slaughtered circulated on social media, with claims it was the Fourways hippo.

The Fourways hippo is safe and sound back home. Picture: @crimeairnetwork/Twitter

JOHANNESBURG – The “missing” Fourways hippo is alive, well and back at its natural habitat, contrary to social media claims that it had been captured and slaughtered for its meat.

The runaway mammal was first spotted wandering around in Chartwell near the Jukskei River last month and later in the Fourways area.

Ads

Last week, the Gauteng Agriculture Department said that it was working closely with the North West provincial government to increase efforts to find the elusive hippo.

On Monday, pictures of a hippo being slaughtered circulated on social media, with claims it was the Fourways hippo.

However, the rumours are simply not true, the agricultural department told Eyewitness News.

“The hippo that was spotted in Chartwell at the end of December is not missing. It has gone back to its original habitat (Hartbeespoort Dam) and this was discovered with the assistance of the technology used by Endangering Wildlife Trust (EWT). The Gauteng Agriculture Department and EWT are monitoring the movements of the hippo,” the department’s Nozipho Hlabangana said.

RELATED:  Police identified the last person who was seen with Tshegofatso Pule

Download the Eyewitness News app to your iOS or Android device.


Today News || News Now || World News || Politics || Health || Technology News || Education News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close