Dozens of asylum seekers detained in a Brisbane motel for over a year are being released into the community on bridging visas, refugee advocates say.
The Refugee Action Coalition said on Monday morning it understood 23 people who had been kept at the Kangaroo Point Hotel were being granted bridging visas, along with two detained at Brisbane Immigration Transit Accommodation.
Dozens of asylum seekers brought to Australia under the now-repealed medevac law were suddenly released from detention in Melbourne in January. Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said at the time it was more cost-effective for them to live in the community than in detention centres.
One of those released from detention in Melbourne, Thanush Selvarasa, posted a photo to Twitter on Monday morning saying dozens of people had been transferred from the Kangaroo Point Hotel to BITA.
Refugee Voices, an asylum seeker-led advocacy group, said it had also received information 25 people were being released on Monday in Brisbane and that more detainees would be granted bridging visas in the coming days.
“We have been in direct contact with some of them this morning and they have been picking up their property and getting their bridging visas,” founder Ahmad Hakim told SBS News.
Mr Hakim said he was happy but that more work lay ahead to help get all medevac immigration detainees released.
RAC spokesperson Ian Rintoul said after the 25 medevac detainees in Brisbane are released there will still be more than 70 others in detention centres across Australia.
“The government’s lack of transparency and chaotic release of medevac refugees is causing increased anxiety and stress among those left behind,” he said.
“Eight years of detention and human rights abuse is too long. They should all be released immediately.”
Mr Rintoul said the RAC understood the Brisbane asylum seekers would be provided with three weeks of accommodation after their release.
Muslim detainees at the Kangaroo Point facility filed a complaint last year with the Australian Human Rights Commission saying they had not been given certified halal food for more than 12 months.
The Department of Home Affairs has been contacted for comment.
Like this story? Here’s where else you can find SBS News content and follow us:
SBS News website: Save our website sbs.com.au/news as a favourite.
SBS News newsletters: Get the latest delivered to your email inbox by subscribing here.
Apple News: Follow the SBS News channel here on an Apple device.
Twitter: Follow us at twitter.com/SBSNews
Instagram: Follow us at instagram.com/sbsnews_au
YouTube: Subscribe at youtube.com/c/sbsnews
TikTok: Follow us at tiktok.com/@sbsnews_au
Reddit: Join us at reddit.com/r/sbsnewsau
SBS also publishes news in 68 languages online and on radio. Find your language at sbs.com.au/language.