Australia News

NSW premier warns more local COVID-19 cases are likely after Sydney man tests positive

News Today || Headlines Today

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned more locally-acquired COVID-19 cases are likely after a man from Sydney’s east picked up the virus.

Ms Berejiklian on Wednesday said the man in his 50s has not recently travelled overseas, does not work in a hotel quarantine, border or a health role and has no idea where he caught the coronavirus.

He also has not recently travelled interstate.

Ads

The man’s positive result was recorded on Wednesday morning and NSW Health believe he has been infectious since last Friday.

“We have to assume there’s other cases and our response will be proportionate as it always has been in NSW,” Ms Berejiklian told reporters.

“Everybody in the state needs to be on high alert.

“Anybody anywhere with the mildest of symptoms needs to come forward and get tested.”

NSW Health contract tracers are working to identify any contacts and genome sequencing is underway, with results expected on Thursday.

The man has a number of close contacts who are being tested and are isolating, NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says.

He also visited a number of venues while potentially infectious, she said, but had been meticulous about checking in using QR codes.

RELATED:  Archaeologists claim new fragments of Dead Sea scrolls found in Israel

A list of venues of concern has been compiled which includes a number of barbecue stores in Silverwater, Annandale and Casula, a meat store in Bondi Junction and a petrol station in Mascot.

The man also attended a screening of The Courier at Event Cinemas Bondi Junction on Friday before attending Figo Restaurant at Rushcutters Bay.

Later on Wednesday, new venues were listed including District Brasserie restaurant in the Sydney CBD, Barbetta restaurant in Paddington, Azure Cafe in Moore Park, HineSight Optometrist inside the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, The Royal Sydney Golf Club at Rose Bay plus the Chemist Warehouse and Woolworths in Double Bay.

People who have attended those venues at various times between 30 April and 4 May should get tested and self-isolate until they receive further advice.

“This person did everything right, but it goes to show that we can’t take a single thing for granted,” Ms Berejiklian said.

The man has not yet received a COVID-19 vaccine.

Ms Berejiklian also said it was too early to say if NSW’s coronavirus-related restrictions need to be tightened.

RELATED:  Coalition government on the nose with voters as Labor takes 52-48 lead

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said anyone in Queensland who had visited any of the listed Sydney venues in recent days should quarantine immediately and get a COVID-19 test.

Western Australia’s Chief Health Officer Andrew Robertson mirrored that, saying anyone in WA who had visited any of the listed Sydney venues should get tested for COVID-19 and quarantine for 14 days.

“We believe any risk to WA remains very low, but the situation highlights the importance of remaining vigilant to prevent the chance of any spread of the virus or community transmission in this state,” Dr Robertson said in a statement.

On Wednesday evening NSW Health reported that fragments of the virus had been detected in the Marrickville sewage network.

The catchment includes about 42,000 people and takes sewage from Dulwich Hill, Marrickville, Summer Hill, Lewisham, Ashfield, Haberfield, Petersham, Lilyfield and Leichhardt.

“NSW Health is asking everyone in these areas to be especially vigilant in monitoring for symptoms, and if they appear get tested and isolate immediately until a negative result is received,” NSW Health said in a statement.

Latest & Breaking Australia News Today Headlines: More Updates

Today News || News Now || World News || US News || UK Today || Tech News || Education News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close