Billionaire Clive Palmer has revealed plans to launch new legal action against the West Australian government — this time to the tune of a whopping $50m.
The mining magnate said his legal team would “file legal proceedings” in the Federal Court seeking “personal damages” against Premier Mark McGowan, Attorney-General John Quigley, Solicitor General Joshua Thomson and State Solicitor Nicholas Egan.
“These proceedings will allege deceit, dishonesty and malice against International Minerals, one of my companies, prior to the passing of the Amending Act,” Mr Palmer told 6PR radio on Thursday.
“We hope that the people of WA won’t be burdened with their legal costs because when you’re dealing with dishonesty and deceit, it can’t be argued that these sort of allegations are in the public interest.”
It appears this latest legal battle is over the passing of legislation some 18 months ago that killed off an attempt by Mr Palmer to claim about $30bn in damages over a stalled mining project.
The United Australia Party leader previously took the matter to court but lost that fight.
He also failed in his court challenge against WA’s hard border.
Mr Palmer’s long-running stoush with Mr McGowan will next go to the Federal Court for a defamation trial in which they are suing each other.
The Premier and Mr Quigley will be forced to travel to NSW to give evidence at the trial in February.
The Queensland businessman claims he was “brought into hatred, ridicule and contempt” when Mr McGowan referred to him as “the enemy of the state”.
But Mr McGowan claims his reputation was damaged when Mr Palmer suggested he had abused parliament and lied to the public.