Australia News

Passengers on Sydney to Melbourne flight asked to self-isolate after two overseas travellers skip quarantine

News Today || Headlines Today

An entire Virgin Airways flight to Melbourne has been advised to isolate at home after two travellers failed to quarantine in Sydney.

The Department of Health and Human Services said that anyone who travelled on Virgin Airways flight VA 838 from Sydney at midday AEDT and arriving in Melbourne at 1.25pm on Saturday should “immediately quarantine at home and contact DHHS”.

The two travellers are now in mandatory quarantine in Victoria after arriving in Sydney from overseas earlier on Saturday.

“Anyone who has been at the Melbourne Airport domestic terminal on Saturday afternoon is advised to monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and to seek testing if symptoms develop,” the department said.

Ads

Meanwhile, a change to mask rules and increased social gathering caps are expected to be announced for Victoria on Sunday.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton has indicated it will be safe for the state to move to a “COVID normal” level of restrictions.

RELATED:  Death of INXS manager Chris Murphy casts doubt on the future of Ballina museum | The New Daily

Victoria has been free of locally transmitted coronavirus cases for more than a month and with no active cases, has effectively eradicated the virus.

Under the government’s original roadmap out of lockdown, “COVID normal” signifies a final easing of attendance restrictions on community sport, hospitality venues, gatherings and visitors to the home.

Professor Sutton said authorities were still working through details before Premier Daniel Andrew’s Sunday news conference but confirmed advice around masks, which currently must be worn in indoor settings, will change.

“We will move to a phase where there is an even more limited use of masks in public,” he told the parliament’s public accounts and estimates committee on Friday.

Hospitality and entertainment venues are expected to continue record-keeping of patrons, as will the real estate industry, as part of what the government often also calls a “COVID safe summer”.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton.

AAP

A phased return to on site work will continue, with all workplaces required to use a COVID safe plan.

Wedding, funerals and religious gatherings will be allowed to go ahead with bigger attendances.

Victoria recorded its 36th consecutive day on Saturday of no new virus cases.

The state’s impressive zero-case run is about to be put to the test as international arrivals, initially capped at 160 a day, resume.

RELATED:  Australian Olympic hopeful Tiffany put her life on hold for 2020, then the pandemic hit

Five international flights from Colombo, Doha, Hong Kong and Singapore are scheduled to arrive at Melbourne Airport on Monday, marking the start of the state’s revamped hotel quarantine program.

International flights were diverted from Victoria in June after security guards at two quarantine hotels contracted COVID-19.

The outbreaks sparked the state’s second wave, which resulted in more than 18,000 infections and 800 deaths.

The government announced on Friday it will introduce legislation to charge for the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

The fees will be set at $3000 per adult, $1,000 for each additional adult in a room and $500 for children aged between three and 18 years. There will be no charge for children under three.

The government has said the payments put Victoria in line with other states and territories but that there will also be hardship considerations including fee waivers, reductions and payment plan options.

There will be no security guards involved in the new-look program, with all staff employed or directly contracted by the government with the exception of cleaning staff, who are on fixed-term contracts with Alfred Health.

Hundreds of Victoria Police officers will act as security as well as undertake floor monitoring in “health hotels”, which will house those travellers who test positive to COVID-19.

RELATED:  Family of Melbourne woman allegedly killed in 'unfathomable, evil act' says system failed her

Australian Defence Force personnel will support Victoria Police by helping guests on entry and exit, as well as registering staff movements and conducting temperature checks. Some ADF members have arrived at their post already, with more to come next week.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction’s restrictions on gathering limits.

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.

News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus

Please check the relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSWVictoriaQueenslandWestern AustraliaSouth AustraliaNorthern TerritoryACTTasmania

Latest & Breaking Australia News Today Headlines: More Updates

Today News || News Now || World News || US News || UK Today || Tech News || Education News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close