Victoria has recorded a third consecutive day without a locally-acquired COVID-19 case as interstate travel headaches for the state’s residents continue.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says Victorians in the Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Redland, Ipswich or Logan council areas of Greater Brisbane should cancel plans to return home.
Greater Brisbane has gone into a strict three-day lockdown after a hotel quarantine worker caught the contagious UK strain of COVID-19.
“All Victorians in these areas are advised to follow the guidance of the Queensland government and any Victorian with plans to travel to these areas should cancel them,” Prof Sutton said.
Those who have arrived in Victoria from the Greater Brisbane area since 2 January should get tested and self-quarantine until Monday when a further assessment will be made, Prof Sutton said.
Anyone who has been to the area since then cannot enter Victoria without an exemption.
The direction followed a Friday morning meeting of the national cabinet which resulted in Greater Brisbane being declared a coronavirus hotspot.
Meanwhile, Victoria on Saturday announced a third straight day with no new locally-acquired virus cases from more than 28,000 tests.
One case was uncovered in the state’s hotel quarantine system.
The streak has Premier Daniel Andrews upbeat in the belief contact tracers are winning the fight against the 27-case outbreak linked to a Thai eatery in Melbourne.
People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction’s restrictions on gathering limits.
If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.