Australia News

Victoria records three new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, all linked to known outbreaks

News Today || Headlines Today

Victoria has recorded three new locally acquired COVID-19 cases overnight, as authorities plan to further ease restrictions.

The Health Department confirmed five new local COVID-19 cases were recorded in the 24 hours to Wednesday morning, two of which had already been announced.

The three new cases are all linked to known outbreaks, the department confirmed.

The two other cases, which were announced on Tuesday, are residents of the Kings Park Apartment Complex at Southbank, which has been locked down for 14 days after a total of six people who live there became infected.

Ads

Authorities believe transmission between the two cases occurred in a common area of the complex, which is home to about 200 residents.

COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar said the men lived in separate apartments adjacent to those occupied by positive cases.

“Those two positive cases are connected to some communal areas that we are concerned about, thoroughfares within that particular complex,” he told reporters.

COVID-19 testing staff entering the Kings Park on Southbank apartment building, in Melbourne, Tuesday, 15 June, 2021.

AAP

The low-rise complex, which consists of about 100 townhouses, has now been listed as a Tier 1 exposure site from 2 June to 14 June.

RELATED:  'Base it on the facts': Berejiklian's swipe as states shut out NSW

As a result, all residents in the building have been asked to self-isolate for the next 14 days.

It comes as Victorians are set to learn if restrictions are to be eased.

Melburnians are still living under onerous restrictions after emerging from lockdown last Thursday including a 25 kilometre travel limit and mask mandate.

Residents wave from a balcony of an apartment at the Kings Park on Southbank apartment building in Melbourne, Tuesday, 15 June, 2021.

Residents wave from a balcony of an apartment at the Kings Park on Southbank apartment building in Melbourne, Tuesday, 15 June, 2021.

AAP

In recent weeks, the Victorian government has made a habit of announcing on Wednesdays whether regional Victoria and Melbourne would move to more relaxed rules.

Acting Premier James Merlino flagged last week city rules would likely move closer into line with regional Victoria, where two adults are currently permitted for home visits each day.

“That would mean the travel restriction, in terms of the 25km, that would go,” he said at the time.

But Health Minister Martin Foley said the further potential easing of restrictions from just before midnight on Thursday remained a “day-by-day proposition”.

Meanwhile, walk-in Pfizer vaccinations at Victoria’s state-run hubs have been paused for the rest of the week in an attempt to preserve supply for already booked first and second doses.

Latest & Breaking Australia News Today Headlines: More Updates

Today News || News Now || World News || US News || UK Today || Tech News || Education News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close