Victoria has recorded another two coronavirus cases on top of the six previously announced on Thursday.
The two new cases will be included in Friday’s numbers.
They are close contacts of a teacher from Al-Taqwa College and her husband, both in their 20s and who live in the Hobsons Bay council, who tested positive on Wednesday with the source of their infection unknown.
Victoria is racing to trace the sources of the couple’s infection and that of a man in his 20s who lives in the Maribyrnong council.
He works at a warehouse in Derrimut and he and his housemate are now isolating.
The three other cases from Thursday’s numbers are linked to the Moonee Valley testing site cluster.
Authorities are refusing to confirm if the cases will send the state into a sixth lockdown, less than two weeks after it emerged from its last one.
“There will be a series of meetings this afternoon as there was this morning,” Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters at parliament.
“What I can indicate obviously is that the government’s priority is to avoid what’s going on in Sydney.
“There’s only one real way to deal with Delta outbreaks, but it’s too early for us to say what will happen in relation to these cases.”
The Hobsons Bay man is also a player with Newport Football Club, whose players are now isolating.
Newport president Marwan Abou-Zeid said the player contacted the club immediately after learning of his positive result on Wednesday.
“We’ve stopped everything and are just waiting for the health department to get back to us with what tier exposure site the club is in,” he told AAP.
Al-Taqwa College is a tier one exposure site from 28 to 30 July and has been closed while more than 2,000 students and 300 staff get tested and self-isolate. A testing site has been set up at the school.
It was a significant location for transmission in last year’s second wave, with at least 210 cases linked to it at the time.
The state’s exposure sites can be seen here.
Ilim College and Australian International Academy campuses as well as the Islamic College of Melbourne (ICOM) at Tarneit were also shut on Thursday as a precaution.
In separate letters, the three schools reassured parents that none of their students or staff had tested positive so far.
Thursday marks the one-year anniversary of Victoria recording 725 cases, the highest daily number of infections in its deadly second wave of the virus.