Canada

Montreal, Laval going back to 8 p.m. curfew while four other Quebec cities extend lockdown

News Today || Canada News |

MONTREAL —
Quebec is prolonging an existing lockdown in four areas, saying community spread of COVID-19 in them is “everywhere,” while also bringing back an 8 p.m. curfew in Montreal and Laval.

Both measures take effect Sunday, Premier François Legault said in a press conference Thursday.

The four places with the prolonged lockdown are Quebec City, Lévis, Beauce, and Gatineau, which have been reporting record highs of COVID-19 cases.

Quebec City, Lévis and Gatineau were put into a 10-day lockdown last week, and five cities in the Beauce area, in Chaudiere-Appalaches, were added to the group on Monday.

Ads

Their current regime of rules was set to expire Sunday. Now it will be renewed until April 18. 

Curfew in those places will be at 8 p.m. and schools and non-essential businesses will remain closed.

“When we say that it’s in the community, it’s everywhere and it’s in all age groups” in those cities, Legault said.

“The situation is serious in these places.”

The Montreal and Laval change is more of a preventative measure, he said. Cases seem relatively stable right now there, but the province believes that won’t last.

In talking “with the doctors and experts of public health… everybody is pretty unanimous in saying ‘it’s coming in Montreal,'” Legault said.

RELATED:  RCMP in Alberta investigate report of man wearing what appeared to be Klan hood

With the highly contagious variants, authorities are also very worried about what would happen if outbreaks took hold in the province’s biggest city the way they’re doing now in Quebec City.

“Montreal and Laval are very densely populated, and that means that if it starts to explode, it could very quickly create big problems in our hospitals,” Legault said.

However, the curfew change is the only one announcd Thursday for Montreal and Laval. Schools will stay open for now in both cities.

The province saw a serious spike in its COVID-19 cases on Thursday, with 1,609 new infections, the biggest daily increase in weeks.

Quebec City alone reported 436 new cases, its highest daily count ever. The city, with less than a third the population of Montreal, had more cases than Montreal.

Several new province-wide rules were already announced this week. Quebecers will now need to wear masks at all workplaces and while doing outdoor activities.

Another region that should be on guard for changes coming soon is the Eastern Townships, Legault said.

“For the past few weeks, we had had very few cases [there], but for a few days now, there is a very significant increase in the caseload,” he said.

“So the Eastern Townships, for us, is under high surveillance. Public health is looking keeping a close eye on the situation from hour to hour” and the province can’t “exclude” the idea of turning it back into a red zone.

RELATED:  Thousands take to the streets in Guelph for anti-black racism protest

This is a developing story that will be updated.

Latest Canadian News Today & Breaking Headlines – Check More

Today News || News Now || World News || US Headlines || Health || Technology News || Education News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close