The two provinces hardest hit by COVID-19 are seeing a decline in new cases this week as Canada grapples with delays in its immunization plans.
Quebec and Ontario, which account for the bulk of the country’s COVID-19 cases, have both seen new infections trend downwards compared to last week’s totals.
Quebec is reporting 1,467 new cases today, and has logged fewer than 2,000 for the last four days.
Ontario recorded 2,655 today, higher than Tuesday’s count but a decline from last week, where it saw around 3,000 new cases each day.
Health officials across the country are also having to deal with an impending pause in deliveries of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
In Manitoba, health officials said Wednesday that no vaccine appointments are being cancelled, though the province will receive roughly half the doses it expected over the next four weeks.
The federal government has said Canada won’t receive any doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine next week after the company advised it is slowing production at its Belgium facility to make upgrades that will eventually boost its output.
Ottawa further noted it can’t tell provinces how many doses they’ll get over the next month as a result of the changes at Pfizer.
Canada was scheduled to get 417,000 doses over the next two weeks, and now expects to receive about 171,000.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 20, 2021.