United Kingdom

How a tea light ‘burnt a flat’ in Camberwell fire

Today News || UK News

Firefighters have issued an urgent candle safety warning after they suspected a tea light was behind a flat fire in Camberwell yesterday (Monday, October 11).

An image of the apparent cause of the fire was released by London Fire Brigade (LFB) Tuesday as they warned residents over the dangers of leaving candles unattended.

The brigade were called to the scene of the blaze on Grove Park in Camberwell around 2.55pm.

Ads

Firefighters in two fire engines attended to find part of a bedroom in a flat on the third floor of a converted, detached house ablaze.

Five people left the building before the Brigade arrived and one person was later taken to hospital.

LFB investigators now believe the fire was accidental and caused by an unattended tea light candle setting fire to nearby combustible materials, prompting them to issue Londoners with a stark warning about the dangers of naked flames such as candles.

RELATED:  Barry Bennell: Paedophile ex-coach to give evidence for Manchester City after club is sued by eight men

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home and you should be careful when using them.

“This is a timely reminder on Candle Fire Safety Week to never leave candles unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

“We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow our simple safety tips.”

LFB meanwhile published a checklist of candle safety tips in the hopes of helping people prevent future fires:

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that’s things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
  • To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets

UK news Today Latest stories & updates More Headlines

Today News Post || UK News || World News || US Updates || Trending News || Technology News || EU News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close