United Kingdom

One year on: First Northwick Park Hospital confirms first Covid-19 case

Today News || UK News

It was a year ago that Northwick Park Hospital confirmed their first coronavirus case.

This time last year, news had just broke of Northwick Park Hospital confirming a person tested positive for Covid-19 at the hospital (March 5, 2020).

In a letter published last year by the London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust, patients and visitors were reassured that doctors are “capable of dealing with the illness”.

Ads

The letter read: “We are writing to let you know that here at Northwick Park we are currently treating patients with a respiratory illness known as novel coronavirus or Covid-19

“Northwick Park Hospital is one of a group of hospitals chosen to care for coronavirus patients. We have experienced doctors, nurses and other staff in the country capable of dealing with this illness.

“While this is a new coronavirus, our doctors have extensive experience of treating infectious diseases – many of which are treated without the level of public interest this has received.

“We also have appropriate facilities designed to provide the best care for patients who have the virus whilst keeping everyone else being treated at Northwick Park Hospital safe.

“If you have any questions about coronavirus or are worried about any aspect of your care please talk to the clinical staff caring for you”.

RELATED:  Ford set to announce plan to gradually ease COVID-19 restrictions in Ontario | CBC News

A spokesperson from the NHS Trust said at the time: “The hospital continues to operate as normal and there has been no restriction on people coming into or leaving Northwick Park.”

Looking on now, Chris Brown, chief executive of the trust, said: “During the months that followed staff across our hospital and community services, supported by a team of dedicated volunteers, have remained resolute in responding to the biggest healthcare crisis in the history of the NHS.

“The numbers speak for themselves. In the last year we have cared for and discharged more than 4,000 patients with Covid-19.

“At the same time, we have continued to care for patients who needed our help for other conditions. Our teams have seen more than 300,000 people in outpatients, with over 160,000 appointments taking place on the phone or online.”

The day also marked the first Covid-19 death in the UK, as a patient in their 70s with underlying health issues died, the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading confirmed.

Today (March 6) also marks a year when news broke of a Covid-19 patient at Watford General Hospital.

Sister-site Watford Observer broke the news after a source informed that part of the hospital was evacuated the night before (March 5, 2020), when it was discovered there was a case of coronavirus.

RELATED:  New YES ambassadors aim to ensure educators learn to meet Scotland's skills demand

On March 6 last year, the Department of Health confirmed there were 163 known people with Covid-19 in the UK.

UK news Today Latest stories & updates More Headlines

Today News Post || UK News || World News || US Updates || Trending News || Technology News || EU News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close