An outbreak at London’s University Hospital has spread, with COVID-19 being found in two more units of the hospital which shut down all admissions earlier this week.
The two units include the fourth floor multi-organ transplant unit and the sixth floor cardiovascular surgery unit.
The two units were added to five outbreaks already declared at the facility.
The London Health Sciences Centre website reports the number of cases among hospital staff as 26 and patients as 23, as of Thursday.
Speaking to CBC’s London Morning on Friday, hospital CEO Paul Woods said officials are working on a plan that may see certain surgeries shut down.
“Certainly surgeries that are not urgent or emergent would be something that we would have the option of closing,” Woods said. “
Seek care if you need it
Admission was closed on all medical floors earlier in the week because of the growing outbreak.
“The first message I want to get out is that if people have an urgent or emergent medical problem, they need to seek care. I need people to hear that: if they have a medical problem, they need to come to one of our two emergency departments and they will be kept safe,” Woods said.
“Medical admissions are now going to the Victoria Hospital.”
Woods admitted the hospital is still trying to test all patients and staff to see if anyone else is positive, and that it will be another couple of weeks before the outbreak subsides.
“I believe that the containment measures will be effective and we can start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel in the next couple of weeks,.” he said.
More to come