United Kingdom

Woman and child taken to hospital after fire in Croydon flat

Today News || UK News

A woman and child have been taken to hospital after a flat fire in Croydon.

The fire broke out at a flat in Union Road at around 7.40pm on Wednesday.

Part of the flat on the first floor of the residential building was damaged by fire.

Ads

One woman and a child were taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

The cause of the fire is believed to have involved cooking.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

“Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

The Brigade was called at 17.42pm and the fire was under control by 8.20pm.

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Beckenham, Mitcham and Forest Hill fire stations attended the scene.

Firefighters’ cooking safety tips

– Have a heat alarm fitted in your kitchen.

– Fitting a heat alarm in your kitchen will give you warning of an increase in temperature caused by a fire but will not be set off by cooking fumes.

– Not feeling 100 per cent? Order a takeaway – if you’re very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it’s safer not to risk it.

RELATED:  Tories accused of 'profound misunderstanding' of the causes of poverty in the UK

– Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

– Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking.

UK news Today Latest stories & updates More Headlines

Today News Post || UK News || World News || US Updates || Trending News || Technology News || EU News

Source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close