Essendon defender Conor McKenna has confirmed he has tested negative to coronavirus for the second time.
- Conor McKenna had already tested negative for coronavirus, despite an earlier positive result
- McKenna has been in isolation since last Saturday
- The AFL and Essendon are yet to comment on the latest test result
He has been in isolation since Saturday and told the ABC he was unsure what the second negative test would mean for his quarantine and training arrangements.
The AFL and Essendon are yet to comment on McKenna’s latest test result.
Essendon coach John Worsfold, in the wake of McKenna’s first negative test, said he was uncertain whether McKenna actually had COVID-19.
“He’s had a positive test with some negatives around that,” Worsfold said on Wednesday.
“So from my own personal point of view … I couldn’t say he definitely has (coronavirus) or he definitely hasn’t.”
Prior to McKenna revealing his latest test result, physician and ABC presenter Norman Swan said the 24-year-old’s situation was a “very typical pattern for people with coronavirus”.
“The story with Conor McKenna is not a great surprise and you would have to say he has had the infection,” Dr Swan told the ABC’s Coronacast podcast.
“He has been positive for COVID-19 and it was accurate, because false negatives are much more common than false positives.”