Defence Minister Peter Dutton has instructed the Chief of Navy not to hire any more dance troupes for official events.
The 101 Doll Squadron on Saturday performed at the official commissioning ceremony for HMAS Supply in Sydney.
The choice of dancers raised eyebrows after the group twerked and performed other moves in front of the naval ship, during what is usually a fairly solemn event.
“It wasn’t a good look, it’s not going to happen again,” Mr Dutton told the Nine Network on Friday.
“Great man, the Chief of Navy, but I’ve made very clear that won’t be happening again.”
Labor frontbencher Richard Marles said the dance routine made his week.
“I knew that Peter Dutton was going to make a mark as defence minister, but legit I did not expect this,” he said.
Mr Dutton laughed off the controversy.
“It’s the element of surprise.”
Minister for Women Marise Payne said the dance troupe had been the target of extraordinary abuse since the story was aired.
“That goes a long way to the importance of the discussion we have about respect,” she told Seven.
“I am sure Defence will look at the way they look at commissioning events and make sure they are addressing any concerns that were raised.
“But I don’t want the participants in a performance group like that to have to endure the sorts of things that they have endured in the last week.”
The 101 Doll Squadron told SBS’ The Feed this week its members have felt “unsafe” and have been “under personal attack on all media platforms” since the performance.